Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Strength "Other"

Today was a strength day, but my workout probably didn't look like what you would think of when you think strength. To me at least, it looks like a few sets of heavy squats or deadlifts. Instead, it was different variations of kettle bell carries, as heavy as possible from one end of our parking lot to the other (approx. 75 meters). Here was my morning workout:

9:30am:
5 min. SMR, mobility, dynamic
1. General warmup: 10 min. easy erg with 2-3 hard efforts
2. PT: glute/vmo
3. Specific warmup: none
4. WORKOUT: 75m farmer carry @70#, suitcase carry @70#, 1-arm OH @35#, Crosswalk @53/35#; 1x@ heavy KB's as possible, 1x @ heavy KB's + Sled @ 50lbs
5. Supplemental: 3x10 toes to bar, 3x10 pull ups, 3x10 GH Rise, 300"Ring FLR
6. Cool Down: easy jog/walk

The different carries:
Farmer--holding KB's down by your sides
Suitcase--1 KB down by your side
1-arm OH--1 arm overhead
Crosswalk--1 arm down by your side, 1 arm OH

On all of these, you should keep your shoulders pulled back and your chest up... this becomes very difficult when you are trying to go as heavy as possible. When I do the Farmer carry with 70# in each hand, I'm lugging more than my bodyweight! So yes, this definitely requires physical strength, but these things are always more mental for me. I was slow and felt awkward and looked like a drunk person on some of them, the way I was staggering as the weight would pull me from side to side. There was one point durring one of the overhead carries where Steve told me I gave up a little too early. I don't like this... I don't like stopping because of my mind! If my body fails, fine. I did all I could do. If my mind fails, well then... its just quitting. I pushed a little harder after that, though it may not have looked like it.

Second workout--
6pm: group class
5 Rounds:
10 pull-ups
20 push-ups
200m run
3min rest
time: 23:33

This group workout was fun. I always love working out with everyone :) Our pull-up bars were installed yesterday, and it was fun to put them to use... the 6pm class filled them up too! I felt good on my pull-ups and my runs were fast, but push-ups slowed me down, as usual. My arms are going to be sore tomorrow. I can already feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment